Re: [at-l] packs

"Billie H. Cleek" wrote:

>  The typical amount of food that
> thru-hikers seem to carry appears to be about 3-4 days worth. Is this
> right?

I'd say it is more like 4-5 days.

> Also, I plan to eat more in 3-4 days on the trail than I normally
> would while bacpacking, so I'm curious about what constitutes 3-4 days
> worth of food for a typical thru-hiker.

I would say that you'd want to be sure to have an extra day's worth the first
week. Then, you'll just adjust to what you think is going to be right as your
appetite changes. It will.

> I'm 6'1", and weigh around 165. At
> least I THINK I weigh about 165; I stepped on a scale yesterday and
> apparently I now weigh 175. (I've never weighed more than 165, so I'm not
> sure the scale is right).

My guess is that you were wrong and the scale was right...you've always
weighed 175 lbs...  :-)

> And finally, what's do most of you use for a
> food bag?

lots o' folx use sleeping bag stuff sacks. Patch (ME-GA '98) needed a grocery
cart for his, though... (biggest foodbag ever I seed.)
--
Felix Navidad
ME-->GA '98

To:            at-l@backcountry.net