Re: [at-l] How seriously are we hurting ourselves???

In a message dated 12/22/00 10:10:43 AM !!!First Boot!!!, sloetoe@yahoo.com
writes:

<< ry explaining that to any coach you ever meet.  "Hey coach, I going to
 > skip practice every-other day, because...."
 >
 > OTOH I have often wondered the same thing.

The first time I got shin splints was running track inside our school
hallways on the hard marble floors (our school didn't have a real track to
run on).  Shin splints were a hum dinger then.  Next time I had a problem
with them was when I went to my first three weeks of training AFTER basic
training in the Army.  The first three weeks we had to run everywhere, all
the time, in our boots.  Running in my Army boots gave me shin splints that
didn't go away for a long time.  So I've come to the conclusion that (at
least my) shin splints are caused by not having enough shock absorbing
quality either from the ground or my shoes.  Knowing this I'm planning to
start out in my Crestas and switch to trail runners as soon as the snow gives
way.
Carpe

To:            Jack Tarlin <baltjack@hotmail.com>
Cc:            at-l@backcountry.net