Re: [at-l] How seriously are we hurting ourselves???

Pittsia Bad-Knees-ovia asked:

> Are we doing real damage (paraphrased big time of course...)

Well, I think it depends on a couple of additional factors. One of these is
age, and the other is physical conditioning before you hike.

I hurt on my hike every day. I turned 42 on the trail, and I was
significantly overweight and out of shape to start. I dropped 70 pounds in
my 6 month 1 week thru-hike. I took a zero day about every 10 days.

My feet grew one full width and length, and after more than a year off the
trail, they are still that big. They still hurt when I walk for more than a
couple of miles. They actually ache right now just enough in the background
to know they are there.

During my hike, I did not admit to myself that my boots were too small till
the halfway point, and I know I did a significant amount of damage to my
feet before getting larger boots. Most of my severe foot pain left with the
new boots, after a week or two of hiking. I still had pain, but it was not
debilitating.

My legs were so weak for the month after my hike, I literally had to pull
myself up the stairs. I was definitely regenerating, and my body was not
about to let me abuse it any longer. My weight loss took much of my upper
body muscle mass with it as fuel, so I had no upper body strength for many
months as well.

I was unable to ride a bicycle for for more than 5 minutes, for nearly 6
months. I can ride now though, and I'm thinking about a long bike trip
next...

The only thing that really surprised me was the way my knee has been
seemingly stronger after my hike. After nearly 20 years of constant
problems, I've had little issue with it since I hiked. I hurt it in Virginia
and paid dearly at the time, but it's feeling fine now. I still don't have
any strength in it, but it does not hurt like it did before I hiked.

My Dr warned me that I'd have crippling arthritis in my knee by the time I
was 50 if I attempted a thru-hike. I went anyway. It was worth it, even if I
fall apart 10 years too soon.

-p

--
Paddler