[at-l] Big foot

(Or, re: How are we seriously hurting ourselves...) ?

I've got a hiking issue I'd like to share to find out if this is just me, or
if the general hiking population goes through this.

 On a day hike, or a weekend hike, where the mileage exceeds 10 miles (and
can be as much as 22 over a weekend, or 20 on a day), my feet grow. Right
there and then. Not counting blisters and such, but they spread out an extra
size or more. Now I've already got pretty big feet (size 9W), but this gets
to be annoying. I start out with size 9W shoes, and by the end of the day I
can't get my feet back in them. On these weekend hikes, I virtually have to
take a 2nd pair of shoes along to make it through the 2nd day, because my
feet swell so much.

 The swelling doesn't go down for at least 3-4 days after the hike. At which
time it's time to do it again.

 So...other than wear way-oversize shoes/boots to start out hiking with, what
are my options?

 And does this happen to you? Or is it a Florida flat-lander thing? (I don't
recall this happening when I hiked in PA, but then I've never done this sort
 of mileage before).

 Cheers, Navigator

To:            <at-l@backcountry.net>