Re: [at-l] Gear List

> >                                Hopefully some of theses stoves will be
at the RUCK.<<
SNIP

I'll bring mine to the PA RUCK, if no one makes me use it in the "boil-off."
No way it will beat my xtreme on speed.  However, when hiking, what's five
minutes?  OTOH when hiking ounces are ounces and the alcohol stove saves me
10-11 oz. over my xtreme and nearly a pound over a DF.

Belch is right, "alcohol is available all along the trail."   If not as
denatured, it is available as "gas tank additive."

Also, as "There is no simmer on these stoves," my trick to used the least
amount of fuel possible, is similar to Belcher; however, rather than just
"cover and set aside" I use a "pot cozy" -- esp. in cold weather.

[Old at-listers, hit delete at this point.]

I now use a pot cozy to save fuel (read weight), to keep the concoctions
from sticking/burning, and to save water.  Works great for soup and
rice/lentil dishes.  However, except in soup, pasta can come out sticky.

To make a pot cozy --
Get some 1/2 inch thick closed cell foam.  An over-the-hill pad works.
Create a strip a little wider than the height of your cook pot w/lid and a
little longer than the circumference of your cook pot, or its lid, at the
widest point of the two.  Glue narrow ends of this strip together to make a
cylinder that just fits around the pot w/lid. Cut a circular foam top and
bottom.  Glue the top to the cylinder to close one end.  Leave the other
open.  Cut a smaller circle of heavy foil -- the bottom of throw-away pie
plate works great.  Glue this to the bottom foam piece. It keeps the hot pot
from sticking to the foam.  My cozy weighs about an ounce and a half.

To use the cozy --

For most "packaged" boil pour and wait under 10 minutes, [like Lipton's]
just use the cozy to keep the temperature up.  Put the bottom circle of foam
on a level place, foil side up.  Place pot (w/lid on) on the foil.  Put the
foam cylinder over the pot and lid.  Let sit undisturbed for package
"cooking time."  In real windy situations, secure with a light rock.  BTW
never put cozy on pot while it is on stove, fire, etc.!!

For things that you would normally need to "simmer," cook and stir as normal
for about 1/4 to 1/3 the normal cooking time.  At the end of that time there
should still be lots of liquid in the pot.  Again, put the bottom circle of
foam on a level place, foil side up.  Place pot (w/lid on) on the foil.  Put
the foam cylinder over the pot and lid.  Let sit undisturbed for a little
longer than the normal full cooking time.

I bought an inexpensive dehydrator some time ago and dry my own vegetable
and fruits, except those I find readily available -- i.e. onions, mushrooms,
raisins, etc. I also use powders from King Arthur's Flour.

I use a lot of lentils (or split pea) and rice based concoctions. Lentils
and split peas have an advantage over most beans as they do not require
soaking and they cook in a relatively short time.  Lentils come in white,
yellow, red, and black as well as the traditional grayish-green.  So, you
can give yourself some eye relief.  Split peas also come in green and
yellow.  I pre-package my own mixes, for the most part.

Typical concoctions (for all the following add salt to taste -- I use very
little and use non-salt stock bases):

Curried Chicken Tracks

1/3 C   Rice
1/4 C   Lentils (red look nice)
1/4 C   Raisins (for this mix I use golden)
1       Dried plum tomato cut in raisin size pieces
1 T.    Almond slices
1 T.    Chicken bouillon granules
1 t.    Curry powder

For best flavor add mix to 2 C boiling fresh spring water deep in the woods.
Simmer until tender.

Chili (sort of)

1/3 C   Rice
1/4 C   Lentils
3       Dried plum tomato cut in quarters
1 T.    Dried onion pieces
1 T.    Beef bouillon granules
1 t.    Chili powder (or more to taste)

For best flavor add mix to 2 C boiling fresh spring water deep in the woods.
Simmer until tender.  (Note -- You can get tomato powder in some parts of
the country and from some mail order houses.  It makes a nice addition to
this mix.)

Mushroom and Parmesan Risotto

1/3 C   Rice
1/3 C   Dried mushrooms
1/3 C   Dried onion pieces
1/3 C   Dried apples
1 T     Vegetable bouillon granules
1/4 t Dried chives
and
1 t     graded Parmesan cheese in a separate plastic twist

For best flavor add all except cheese to 2 C boiling fresh spring water deep
in the woods.  Simmer until tender.  Add cheese.

Imitation Black Beans and rice

1/3 C   Brown Rice
1/3 C   Lentils (black)
2       Dried plum tomato cut in quarters
1 T.    Dried green bell pepper
1 T.    Dried onion pieces
1 T.    Beef bouillon granules
2 t.    Dried carrots
1 t.    Orange crystals (Tang in a pinch)
2 dash  Paprika
1 dash  Ground coriander
1 dash  Crushed red pepper (to taste)
1 dash  Garlic granules

For best flavor add mix to 2 C boiling fresh spring water deep in the woods.
Simmer until tender.

Lentils and Rice

1/3 C   Rice
1/4 C   Lentils
3       Dried plum tomato cut in quarters
2 T.    Shredded coconut
1 T.    Dried onion pieces
1 T.    Vegetable bouillon granules
2 dash  Garlic granules
2 dash  Dried mint
1 dash  Turmeric
1 dash  Ground coriander
1 dash  Crushed red pepper (to taste)
1 dash  Ground ginger

For best flavor add mix to 2 C boiling fresh spring water deep in the woods.
Simmer until tender.

Cheese Stew

1/3 C   Dried meat
1/3 C   Rice
1/4 C   Lentils
3       Dried plum tomato cut in quarters
1 T.    Bacon bits or home dried cooked bacon
1 T.    Dried onion pieces
1 T.    Vegetable bouillon granules
2 dash  Garlic granules
1 dash  Crushed red pepper (to taste)

and

1/3 C   Cheddar cheese (reserved in a separate plastic twist)

For best flavor add mix (sans cheese) to 2 C boiling fresh spring water deep
in the woods.  Simmer until tender.  Add cheese.  Stir until cheese is soft.

Spaghetti

1/3 C   Dehydrated Spaghetti Sauce -- homemade or otherwise (dehydrate as
you would fruit leathers)
1/3 C   Spaghetti

and

1 t     graded Parmesan cheese in a separate plastic twist

For best flavor add all except cheese to 2 C boiling fresh spring water deep
in the woods.  Simmer until tender.  Add cheese.

Brunswick Stew

1/2 C   Dried meat
        (chicken/squirrel/rabbit/pork/etc. or a mix)
1/3 C   Dried potato
1/4 C   Dried whole kernel white corn
1/4 C   Dried baby butter beans
6       Dried plum tomato cut in quarters
2 T.    Dried onion pieces
1 T.    Vegetable bouillon granules
1 pinch Four
1 dash  Crushed red pepper (to taste)

For best flavor add mix to 3 C boiling fresh spring water deep in the woods.
Simmer until tender.

Chainsaw

To:            goinggoinggone@webtv.net, at-l@backcountry.net