Re: [at-l] How seriously are we hurting ourselves???

I've heard that, too, but at the same time, i think surge hiking is worse on
your body than hiking a few moderate days in a row.  Usually, if I was
feeling tired, I'd take a short day.  I rarely did big miles two days in a
row, and after a while, My body was so used to hiking, that it couldn't
stand to take time off.  I would HAVE to hike.

So maybe I'm not the best person to talk with about this...

I do believe that zero days are very important because it does give your
body time to heal.  I took quite a few zero days, and took a couple zero
weeks as well.  My friend Sheltowee, who hiked last year, took one zero day
between Del Water Gap and Katahdin.  He has major knee problems now.  I took
about two weeks worth of zero days (maybe more -- can't remember) in that
span, and never had one problem.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

The Belch

To:            "Felix" <AThiker@smithville.net>, "AT-list" <at-l@backcountry.net>