[at-l] How seriously are we hurting ourselves???

I have a serious question.  It has to do with the damage inflicted on the
muscles of the body while long distance hiking.  I have been a health club
member at various points in my life, and have been told by the physical
trainers at all of them that you a person is to exercise every other day.
As explained to me, the exercise will tear muscle tissue, and the off day
will allow the tissue to heal.  It is this tearing/healing cycle that builds
muscle and makes it strong.  Relating this to hiking, since long-distance
hikers rarely take days off, aren't we damaging our muscles and not allowing
them to heal?  How seriously are we hurting ourselves out there???

Would it make more sense to "surge hike" - hiking long distances every other
day, with days off (or hiking shorter distances) in between?  This would be
more like the tearing/healing cycle that has been taught to me by physical
trainers...

Also, you thru-hikers out there - what long term physical ailments did you
deal with after your hike.  One young lady that hiked in 1997 had pulled her
groin muscle, but insisted on continuing.  She was forced off of the trail
eventually due to the pain and damage, but only allowed herself time for
partial healing before again hiking.  She has paid a big price for this, and
will probably never again be as mobile as she was before her hike...

Pittsia Bad-Knees-ovia

To:            at-l@backcountry.net