Re: [at-l] gear questions

Billie H. Cleek wrote:
[clip]
> One of the things I've been pondering lately is laundry. Most people seem
> to advocate taking only two pair short/pants, so you wear one and have one
> in the pack. So is the idea with regards to laundry that you wash each set
> of clothes every other trip to the laundry-mat?

I hiked in the same pair of shorts all the way, washing them in town and
wearing my "town shorts." My town shorts only needed washing a couple of
times in 6 months, since they were never actually "dirty" or worn while
hiking.

My T-shirts rotated. The one I hiked in became my town shirt for the next
stop, so my town drill was:

  Get to town and shower.
  Put on clean shorts.
  Put on clean shirt.
  Eat.
  Go to the PO.
  Do Laundry.
  Eat.
  Go shopping to buy more stove fuel and food to eat in town.
  Eat.
  Rest, maybe go to the outfitter.
  Eat.
  Sleep.
  Eat.
  Hike out in the T-Shirt I wore in town and my now clean hiking shorts.

> Next question is about martial artists in the hiker community. I've been
> training in kenpo for a couple of years now, and I look forward training
> in the vast expanse of the Appalachians. How many other martial artists
> are out there? Was keeping up with training difficult while thru-hiking,
> or was it actually a motivator?

A number of people did daily, or weekly kata along with meditation, however
I did not see anyone going anything else I would classify as martial arts.

-p
--
Paddler
AT Class of 1999 GA>ME