Re: [at-l] Gear List

Drat. Since I usually "borrow" from the ER, I don't know names. I've seen
and purchased these made specifically for blisters at drug stores and at
Big Lots (usually with a cute pattern) that fit in a small blue plastic
box. They are made by the usual bandaid brands. If you don't see them with
bandaids, look in the foot care section of the store. These are
conveniently sized and packaged. They are thicker than the wound dressing,
probably to take the abrasion that caused the blister. They are not as
transparent at wound dressings.

What I have been using is gas permeable dressings used as a first cover on
surgical and cellulitis wounds. Usually you can cut an appropriate sized
section, peal off a section for the adhesive, place over the wound and
remove the top cover. It is an excellent barrier for wet and dirt, allows
visualization of the wound, stays in place about a week, but is expensive
to purchase. It looks a bit like Saran wrap while worn. In fact, Saran wrap
can be a good burn dressing when in a pinch. (YMMV)

These can usually be found in larger drug stores or medical supply houses.
Again, brands are the usual bandage and dressing companies.

OrangeBug

To:            at-l@backcountry.net