Re: [at-l] smokies question

...The biggest problem you might have is if they enforce "thru-hiker only"
at Icewater shelter. ......

I don't believe this rule applies anymore at Ice Water Springs Shelter.  When staying there this spring, a group showed up with their permit.  The shelter was full of thru-hikers with more tenting outside.  The last 5 thru-hikers that were asked to leave the shelter when the group arrived with their "reservations".

What an aggravating group they were.

We figured it out later that their permit was invalid because they had reservations for 6 when only five showed up, making their permit worthless according to the rules of the park.

I'm surprised that in the month of April, when the majority of northbounders are passing through, that the GSSNP doesn't allow for more thru-hikers and restrict the reservations.

Red, best be safe and give them a call and reserve your space, but make sure you leave enough time to get to the shelters of your choice.

If need be, I'd camp at any shelter my body allowed me to make in any given day.  You may  want to think twice about camping just anywhere as the weather can become very nasty along the ridge.

Let me know if you're still looking for a shuttle so we make a plan.

Later, Sly

This mobile message sent using PocketMail.
Sign up for unlimited e-mail at www.PocketMail.com.

To:            <at-l@backcountry.net>