Re: [at-l] bikes on trail

> An aside: mountain biking sure is fun and the AT is a tempting place to do
> it.  But it tears up the trail a lot quicker than hiker boots.  There are
> plenty of established mb trails for that use only.

An avid mountainbiker friend of mine once told me that biking does no more
damage than foot travel. I asked him if he'd read that in a MTB magazine?!
He could only nod sheepishly. I have pictures of the damage the bikes can do
when they blow out the sides of established trails. If the bikers would just
make an effort to stay on the trails, 50% of the damage they do would be
eliminated.

vic

To:            at-l@backcountry.net