Re: [at-l] Gear List

see comments below...

belcher

----------
>From: Irene Meyers <iameyers@yahoo.com>
>To: at-l@backcountry.net
>Subject: [at-l] Gear List
>Date: Wed, Dec 20, 2000, 11:11 AM
>

> --- John O <johno@mail.monmouth.com> wrote:
>> I would suggest you post your gear list with weight
>> of each item to the
>> list.  I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions to
>> lighten your loads.
>> Happy Holidays
>> John O
>
> OKAY, You asked for it, John :)  Here is our
> preliminary gear list, which anyone out there is free
> to tear apart.  As I stated before, we are not very
> experienced so I am sure there are ways to trim down.
> We do not have the total weights of each of our packs
> yet, because we are waiting for those christmas gifts
> :).  The tent and backpacks are already picked, so try
> to be kind in that area.  We already have our sleeping
> bags, too, although they may change in the warmer
> months.  By the way, we live in Southern New Jersey,
> so our mountain hiking is limited to when we take
> trips.  Our start date is March 27.  Sorry in advance
> for the length.  Also, this gear list is for 2
> individuals:
>
> Preliminary Gear List
> Shared Gear:
> Sierra Designs Clip 3 CD  - 5 lb 8 oz - 3 person tent
> - gives us more room, since we are both tall we don't
> fit in any 2 person tents comfortably
> MSR Dragonfly Stove - 1 lb 1.1 oz
> 11 oz MSR Fuel Bottle - 2.8 oz + fuel
> Matches

-- you'll probably want a lighter, and use the matches as a backup.

> Evernew 1.3L Titanium Pot - 6 oz
> 2 spoons
> PUR Hiker Water Filter - 14.4 oz
> Nalgene Water Bottle

If y'all have water bladders, (platypus) why the Nalgene bottle?  Just a
question.

> Elf Camera & 1 extra film

I suggest more film.  I carried three extra rolls at all times.  I took
quite a few pictures and saved some people who'd not packed enough along the
way.  It's not that heavy and it keeps you from having to slow down on your
picture taking because you want it to last until the next town.

> First Aid Kit - Moleskin, Bandaids, Bentadine
> (disinfectant), Advil, Immodium AD

I've never been able to make moleskin work.  If you have that problem, too,
duct tape works wonders.  instead of bandaids, I would suggest sterile
cotton pads and duct tape. (you may not have realized the wonderous power of
duct tape, but you will.... you will...)

> Handiwipes
> Leatherman micra

The only tool I ever used on my leather man was the tiny screwdriver thingy
to change the battery in my walkman.  So I sent it home and bought an
eyeglass repair kit for the tiny screwdriver.  i also had one of those tiny
army-issue can openers, which i never used because I nerver carried cans.  I
used it to clean the gunk out from underneath my fingernails on occasion...
And no, I didn't use the knife.  The only thing I needed a knife for was to
spread PB on my bagels, and I found that the back of my spoon was better.

> Small Fingernail Clippers
> Dr. Bronners Liquid Soap

You're going to stink.  Badly.  Get used to it.  I bathed in streams on
occasion, but never used soap.  What's the point?  Besides, when you use
soap, you can't bathe in streams, you have to go far away.  As far as
washing your pot, all you need is a very small piece of that green scrubbie
material and some water.  Never underestimate the power of water.

> Toothpaste & Small toothbrush
> Medicated Powder (In zip-lock) - for feet, etc
[ *** too many quoted lines.  automatically truncated *** ]

To:            at-l@backcountry.net