[at-l] Bascom Lodge

I've just read an article in the local paper reporting that the AMC
will no longer operate Bascom Lodge on Mt Greylock.  It seems to be
an issue with the State DEM. The lodge needs about $1 million of
repairs including new water and septic system.  AMC claims they are
leaving for environmental reasons.   Personally, I think they are so
focused on the Whites and the spandex and sneakers crowd, that they
don't have time for the country cousins out here in the Berkshires.

   AMC operates the lodge and has office space at the Visitors Center
(7 miles S of the lodge) in exchange for providing a certain amount
of trail maintenance and conducting outreach programs.  Both of which
are successful and greatly needed.  AMC claims: "We intend to
continue our full commitment to our conservation and trails program
out here.  Our maintaining the trails will not change at all.  We
have a trained staff that are experts at trail maintenance, and we
have a very active volunteer membership.  But wether we'll still be
leading hikes remains to be seen.  We have an extensive program and
[its future] is still to be determined."

The subtext and scuttlebutt from local AMC staff that I heard is that
they are loosing so much money that they don't want to continue to
operate.

The article did not mention wether the lodge would be open in the
summer with a different operator.  More news when I know more.  I'll
have all the skinny after the next AT Committee Meeting in early Jan.

Cosmo

To:            at-l@backcountry.net (AT-L listserve)