Re: always looking to be popular.....Re: [at-l] GPS & misc.

Isn't anybody you piss off (or who pisses you off) and in the wrong in the
slim minority anyway?   So what do we do to educate them, rather than just
complain about their ignorant behavior on the AT-L?

Belcher

----------
>From: Ben Wright <silas_wright@yahoo.com>
>To: at-l@backcountry.net
>Subject: Re: always looking to be popular.....Re: [at-l] GPS & misc.
>Date: Tue, Dec 19, 2000, 11:45 PM
>

> Its important to realize that not all bikers are "AH"s
> as they say. But, the good ones are predominately
> not on the A.T. or any other hiking trail.
> The majority of the ones that are on the
> trail (although a slim minority of all bikers) are
> probably "AH"s and they're are the ones we meet. This
> becomes the problem in any calm attempts at education
> or communication with them on the trail IMO. This
> probably holds for hunters in the wrong places, too.
> 90% of the bikers and hunters that I met under these
> circumstances were in the wrong and they knew it. They
> didn't care. They were also acting in an unsafe
> manner for themselves and for hikers, and once again
> they didn't care.  It's real hard to know what to
> do in these circumstances. They're gone by the time
> you report them.
>
> Turbo Turtle
>
> --- Leslie Booher <lwbooher@halifax.com> wrote:
>> When we lived in Vicksburg, MS (1983-1990), there
>> were a group of joggers on
>> one of the roads through the park, and there were
>> cyclers.  We all exercised
>> in the park: good parking, nice roads, pretty views,
>> safe, it had
>> everything.  The guys on bicycles were coming up
>> behind the joggers, and one
>> of the cyclers called out "Left", or some such,
>> meaning that he would be
>> passing on their left.  One of the joggers
>> misinterpreted that and moved to
>> the left.  The bicycle was totaled, the jogger had
>> multiple injuries
>> including several broken bones, and the guy on the
>> bicycle was badly
>> injured.  All this was on a real road where two cars
>> could pass.  Where are
>> hikers to go on most of the trails?  I've met horses
>> in the Smokies where we
>> had to climb the hillside because there was nowhere
>> but down on the other
>> side of the trail, but we had plenty of time to
>> achieve a safe position.
[ *** too many quoted lines.  automatically truncated *** ]

To:            at-l@backcountry.net