Re: always looking to be popular.....Re: [at-l] GPS & misc.

When we lived in Vicksburg, MS (1983-1990), there were a group of joggers on
one of the roads through the park, and there were cyclers.  We all exercised
in the park: good parking, nice roads, pretty views, safe, it had
everything.  The guys on bicycles were coming up behind the joggers, and one
of the cyclers called out "Left", or some such, meaning that he would be
passing on their left.  One of the joggers misinterpreted that and moved to
the left.  The bicycle was totaled, the jogger had multiple injuries
including several broken bones, and the guy on the bicycle was badly
injured.  All this was on a real road where two cars could pass.  Where are
hikers to go on most of the trails?  I've met horses in the Smokies where we
had to climb the hillside because there was nowhere but down on the other
side of the trail, but we had plenty of time to achieve a safe position.
Bikes are OK, but they need to be where there's plenty of passing space and
where everybody has plenty of notice that they're coming.  OK, next for the
soapbox?  Leslie (anklebear)