always looking to be popular.....Re: [at-l] GPS & misc.

--- Dawn Stringer <stringdm@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I don't know if he was going to pass me, had I not
> moved, or if he was going to run me right over.  I just stepped back and
> scratched my head for a while... Don't know what's wrong with those
> people.> belcher

> >From: Ramkitten@aol.com
> > Anyhoo...I was nearly run over by mountain bikers in Pa, too

### I must say that all of this poor behavior really bums me out, because
I am sympathetic to ALL forms of self-propelled travel, including bicycles
on trails. Long before "bicycle moto-cross", I pedaled a two-wheeler into
all KINDS of interesting places, sometimes with a fly rod strapped to the
frame, sometimes just for "bmx" kicks. And I suffered mightily for my
adventures, too -- broken bones, dual bleeding scapulas (sounds like a
rock group), etc, etc. Rode from Milford, Connecticut to New Milford,
Connecticut once, up US8, then rode on trails around a horse show, then
rode back to Milford; long day (a hundred miles?), but I was a P-O-ed
teenager of 16.

I know this won't make me popular at school but, I'd love to take a bike
out on a trail again, even the AT. I think we hikers are loosing brethren
by excluding our seated self-propelled compatriots.

Sloetoe
(well, now mostly inactive
trail builder/maintainer)

=====
There is little use for the being whose tepid soul knows nothing of the great and generous emotions of the high pride, the stern belief, the lofty enthusiasm, of the men who quell the storm and ride the thunder.

T.Roosevelt 4/23/10