[at-l] Newsletter

I was going through some of my old journals lately, and found this one from
my '97 hike of the Long Trail. Thought y'all might like it.... Consider
this my "Seasons Greetings" and "Happy Holidays" to the list....

"9/2/97 - Theron Dean Shelter -

     The little things on this trip are starting to add up, the happiness
of a flat stretch of trail, a place to sit
in the sun, a view. I awoke this morning dreaming of pizza, I hike noticing
how my feet feel and where I place them.
I'm on a schedule where time has no meaning, you awake, you eat, you hike
until you're hungry and stop and eat
again, you hike until you're tired and stop. You do this again the next
day, and the next, until it seems an unbreaking
rhythm, "the essential facts of life" (H.D. Thoreau). To take yourself past
tired, to that quiet place in your soul, where
you can sit and listen to the wind in the trees and the rhythm of your own
breathing. The Native Americans speak of
The Great Spirit, this matching of rhythms, returning to nature, must bring
one close to the spirit."

Skeeter

To:            <at-l@backcountry.net>