RE: [at-l] GPS & misc.

> It isn't that the maps are inaccurate. It is that most people
> do not know how
> to read a map. A map could be make that would show every
> little bump. But,
> the size of it would make it impractical to carry. it would
> be seamless,
> rolled up and carried in a tube. It would be 2167.1 miles
> long (This would
> change with the length of the trail) and 6,643 feet high.
> Scale would be 1:1.
>  :-)

And you all thought cell phones and GPSs were bad, I can see it now...

"Every modern thru-hiker uses the 'Appalachian Trail Companion Heads Up
Display' from Microsoft Corporation. This HUD comes complete with a special
pair of Vaurnet sunglasses with a built-in screen on which the Appalachian
Trail is projected in real time synchronization with the included GPS unit.

The standard database is accurate to within one meter horizontal and
vertical and may be upgraded to 0.5 meter resolution for a small additional
charge. Also standard is the stnadard online version of the 'Appalachian
Trail Thru Hiker's Companion' through a cross licensing agreement exclusive
to Microsoft. At only 7.5 grams, these glasses weigh only slightly more than
ordinary sunglasses. Never be lost on the trail again, call now and order
your very own pair - only $199.95 from Microsoft - not available in stores."

Lee I Joe

To:            "L. Parker" <lparker@cacaphony.net>
Cc:            WHHAWKINS@aol.com, at-l@backcountry.net