Re: [at-l] Backpack Straps

>Al and the Gang;
>
> I too have experienced certain packs with straps that will not stay in
>place. One solution I have used is to add a keeper (buckle) thingy. A
>little slider thing on your pack strap below the adjusting buckle. The
>free end of your strap is also run through this buckle ring thing.
>Sometimes that will add enough tension to keep the free end of the strap
>from working loose.
> Another solution I use for a strap that I do not plan to adjust very
>often. There is a way to run your strap through the adjusting buckle
>twice. You cannot adjust it on the fly but it will not slip. Experiment
>and you can probably figure this out easier than you could follow my
>directions LOL.
> I wonder if the straps were stiffer if they would not slide so easily.
>Like maybe using some spray starch on the straps? I remember once my
>Leki straps got very stiff after a lot of hiking in hot dry weather.
>First time it rained they softened up again. Maybe soaking a strap in
>salt solution would do it, untill it rains haha.
>
>chase
>
>RoseMarie/Al Sarra wrote:
>>
>> While reading the comments on the clevis pin and what happens if one
breaks or is lost, I got to thinking about another pack problem that bugs me
mightily.  No matter what I do to secure the various straps, many of them
work lose after a short period of time and I find myself going down the
trail tugging at my waistband strap or pulling on the straps up around
shoulder level or tightening the chest strap - one after the other, over and
over again.

>> One thing that seems to work is to first get everything adjusted just
right and then take the bitter end of the strap and tie an overhand knot in
it at the buckle.  Somehow though it seems to me that there ought to be
something else I should do.

>> Do any of you have this problem??  What do you do for it??  How about the
incessant squeaking as the pack moves while you walk - squirk, skreech,
chirp, squeek....

To:            AT-list <at-l@backcountry.net>