[at-l] Backpack Straps

While reading the comments on the clevis pin and what happens if one breaks or is lost, I got to thinking about another pack problem that bugs me mightily.  No matter what I do to secure the various straps, many of them work lose after a short period of time and I find myself going down the trail tugging at my waistband strap or pulling on the straps up around shoulder level or tightening the chest strap - one after the other, over and over again.

One thing that seems to work is to first get everything adjusted just right and then take the bitter end of the strap and tie an overhand knot in it at the buckle.  Somehow though it seems to me that there ought to be something else I should do.

Do any of you have this problem??  What do you do for it??  How about the incessant squeaking as the pack moves while you walk - squirk, skreech, chirp, squeek....

(Mine is an external.)
Thanks
Al (Draggin' Anchor)

multipart/alternative