[at-l] Final Answer: was Scraplle

You're not Jewish!

Chainsaw slices and dices:

...I was waiting for someone else to weigh in, but here goes.

When we butchered a hog, we used everything but the squeal.  Even the
bristles were saved for brushes.  Of course the hide was tanned, etc.

But getting the eatable part [and some of this may challenge your idea of
eatable] nothing was wasted.  As we didn't have the bandsaws that butchers
use today, there were no pork chops or other cuts that could not be cut off
by knife or by handsawing a bone rather easily.  As we had no freezer,
little was eaten "fresh" - albeit we always had some "fresh" cuts at
butchering time.

First, the hams, shoulders, bacon, fat back, belly, etc. were salt & sugar
cured and later smoked.  Items like the tender loin, chine, tongue, etc.
were canned [in mason jars] or salt & sugar cured and smoked.  Chitlin's
were cleaned and cleaned and cleaned, eaten right away or canned.  Ribs,
backbone and the rest of the bony part of the torso, the head, etc. were
picked and made into some combination of lard, cracklin', sausage, souse,
scrapple, etc.  Mostly the larger pieces muscle tissue of went into sausage.
One head, tongue and all, would be used for souse.

Scrapple was generally made from some muscle tissue, head meat, heart,
tongue, stomach, liver, etc, plus some other organ meat.  It was ground,
rendered, and added to cornmeal mush.  This was cooked until the texture was
right and put into rectangular molds [rather like a loaf bread pan] and
allowed to congeal.  Once it hardened, it was capped off with lard to seal
it and kept all winter and into the summer.

To cook it you sliced off a slab and fried it.

Chainsaw