[at-l] Smokies trip

DaRedhed: are you (or anyone else)still thinking about the northern half of
the smokies new years' weekend?

I have given it a little more thought on my end.  Although I am still stuck
with the same time constraints I mentioned in my last post (Friday to
Sunday).

A quick review of the shelters and mileage suggests the following
possibility:
Start at Newfound Gap and spend Friday night at Pecks Corner   (10.4  mi)
Saturday go to Cosby Knob shelter     (13.3   mi)
Sunday go down to Mtn. Mommas or other parking area for a pick-up or get the
car  (7.8  mi)

A few journals that I have read, indicated that this is possible. Does
anyone else have an opinion?

Here are the other variables, as I see them.
Of course, the weather.  I will wait for a forecast before I decide.  I am
not equipped for, and do not desire to hike in ice.  I have hiked around
blow downs before and it aint fun.
I heard that Mtn. Mommas runs a shuttle. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
The time I can get them to drop me off at NFG will impact on the first day's
mileage.

Since DaRedhead is wanting to spend an extra day, is it a viable to loop
around to the Mt. Sterling area to add and extra day and then end up back
down at Davenport Gap?

Thanks,

David

multipart/alternative