[at-l] Grits

Grits have again appeared on the list, so it's time for a repeat of the
grits story.

Many, many years ago, I was in basic training at FT Dix, NJ.  99.8% of the
trainees were from the Northeast.  I was a member of the .2% who were going
through Dix because it was one of two basic training sites that processed
people headed for a four year-wear a silly suit-and don't get shot at much
branch of intelligence (the bumpersticker reads "I was an Oxymoron").  Well,
one morning several of us with a broader cultural experience noticed that
one of the bins at breakfast looked familiar.  We could not figure out why
everyone was putting its contents into bowls.  We simply recreated Mt
Everest on our trays (this long before Close Encounter's poor imitation with
mashed potatoes).  When we got to the cooks (with their nasty looks all in
place) and presented our trays for the eggs something wonderful happened.
Their faces brightened, the scowls disappeared, and they gleefully asked
"Want um on the top or the side?".  "Top of course" we caroled back.  We
each received an extra egg.  Our companions stared in disbelief, as we did
when they sugared and poured milk onto their bowls of grits.

J. Mark Ferguson
Information Technology Department
Colonial Williamsburg Foundation
Voice:  757.220.7313