[at-l] Thyme again...

Well, with the audio on the Pacer's game screwed up, and the
score about 20 points different, I figgered I'd bore you
with a little "2 Years Ago Today...and yesterday...and the
day before." That is one long title...

Let's see...

Two years ago Saturday night had me and Groovin' Moose
hikin' to Trimpi Shelter from Atkins. Seemed like most of
that was after dark, for some reason. I guess when you do 22
miles and don't start 'til after noon, that'll happen. That
night, while in our bags in the shelter, we were
'entertained' by a group of coon dogs. We had listened to
them yelping for a long time...ever closer. Finally, 6 or 8
of them were all around the shelter, inside and out. It was
kinda tense at first, actually. Then, they left. Two years
ago from Sunday past took us 25 miles to Thomas Knob.
(Footnote addition to something I once said about climbs
south of Moosilauke: Add Iron Mtn. to that short list)
Something happened for the first time in my hiking life at
Wise Shelter (nice shelter, btw). I got there at, or just
after 5:00 p.m. I ate something quick and loaded up with
water and watched the sun disappear and twilight sneak in (I
couldn't figure out where she came from...). Anyway, it was
the first time I had ever left one shelter for another
shelter...after sunset. It was a nice feeling. It was
incredible hiking. Stiff, cold winds blowing snow flurries
as I crossed Wilburn Ridge and Rhodi Gap. The view was
incredible with little towns lit up here and there. I saw
one pony. The one I walked into because  I couldn't see in
the dark. I didn't hear it because my headphones were
picking up stations from all over the East up on that
ridge....

Anyway, what was that guy doing on that horse...? When I got
to Thomas Knob Shelter, I was very pleasantly surprised to
see Sundown in the lower level. I hadn't seen him since
Niday shelter and the "Maildrop Fiasco." It was very good to
see the old boy. (I had taken three no hike days in Atkins.
Sundown passed in there somewhere.) It was COLD and WINDY
that night.

Two years ago from yesterday took me, Sundown and Moose Boy
28 miles to Damascus(my longest mileage day). Somewhere in
there, I think Moose got on the Creeper trail. I pulled away
from Sundown at Saunders S. turnoff. He was illin' with
intestinal ailin'. Somewhere around 5 o'clock, and near
Featherman Campsite (or, whtever it's called, near 58) was
the coolest animal sighting of the trip. And, prolly one of
my top 5 moments. That 30 second staredown with a bobcat was
irreplacable. (what does 'irreplacable' mean? It's good,
right?) Talk about an adrenalin rush. That from a guy who
used to have a trailname of "Bobcat". It was just 3 times
cooler than you'd think, and then some. So, I was riding
that high for the next 2 hours and 5.5 miles to town. I
smoked a cigar on my way down the hill to town. I was
feeling good. I was really feeling good.

We had a little group of hikers in town that night.
Somewhere in my three no hike days Lucky Luke and Calamity
Jane, who I hadn't seen since north of Pearisburg, passed
me, too. They were in Damascus. So were the two guys with
dogs (??) that I hadn't seen since Harper's Ferry. (The
Great Dane...who were they? Tangent Man and...? It'll come
to me.)  (Oxymoron) Throw in me, Groovin' Moose and Sundown
and you have a twon full of southbounders. We all ate at the
pizza place (what the hell is wrong with my
mammory...memory?) The next morning I bought a new Duofold
longjohn shirt at MRO (It is in the chair next to me now).
Sundown bought a new tent. We left town about noon. It was a
good/bad feeling walking out of there. Damascus is a special
place. As we walked out the door at MRO (about noon), it
started sprinkling. It was raining before we got to the
park. It rained every step of the way to Abingdon Gap
Shelter. LL and CJ and GM were already there when I got
there well after dark. It was pouring. Sundown rolled in at
about 7. he was soaked. That kid walked in and never once
complained about the rain. His sleeping bag was wet...he
climbed in and started cooking. I love that kid.

I reckon that was 2 years ago this evening, huh? 2 years?
Get out...

--
Felix Navidad
ME-->GA '98