[at-l] What IS a Ruck?

Newbies: welcome to the list! As an old-timer, I don't want everyone to get the impression that the Ruck was first held in PA. It was in Harper's Ferry. Here's my story (and I'm sticking to it)....

Cheers, Navigator

January 1997, Super Bowl weekend

A small group of hikers huddled in the cozy comfort of ATC Headquarters, Harpers Ferry, WV. Although closed for the day, the ATC opened its doors to this motley crew who'd hooked up on the AT-L after Phil Romans -- planning to thru-hike in 1997 -- posted a request to get a bunch of people together to go over gear and planning considerations. It was a causal get-together, so there
 isn't any roster of attendees, just my poor recollection boosted by photos I took. Phil showed up with his dad, as did several other AT-L members starting their hikes in 1997-- Solophile, Gypsy, and Sedona, and other curious folks like myself and Raven. Our EXPERT HIKERS included Chase, Jim & Ginny, and Firefly, who'd brought her Mom (her trail support) along as well. After a few hours of poring over gear, weighing packs, and looking at maps, we got chased out of ATC HQ and headed on down the road (on foot) to the nearest pizza parlor for a few rounds of pizza and beer.

 Solophile (aka Rachel) made reservations for us at the HILLTOP HOUSE HOTEL, a tres-cool Harpers Ferry historic monument that looks like something out of a mystery novel-- twisting, winding passages, half-staircases, low ceilings, Victorian cupolas, and secret doorways. The roar of the wind in the trees and the constant drone of the Potomac rapids below adds to the ethereal effect.
 Showing off her new Stephenson tent, Rachel pitched it in the grassy parking lot. "Oooh" and "Aaah" ensued.

 We had two motel rooms to split between ten people, which made for typical hiker logistics -- and a cheap night's sleep. Since one room was a lot bigger than the other, we gathered there for an evening of chatting, looking at Firefly's and Ginny's photo albums,  and watching Jim struggle with the slide projector -- which kept overheating and shutting itself down -- all the while sending out to room service for more and more pitchers of Coca-Cola and iced tea. 'Twas a fun way to spend the evening. Then, after most of the
 guests in the hotel had retired for the night, we helped slip Micah indoors up a back staircase so he wouldn't freeze in the truck. Bitter winds blew all night, rattling the ancient windows and waking us up frequently.

 The next morning Jim led us to a neat little dinner just over the border in MD for refueling, and then it was off to Weverton to drop off cars and up to Crampton Gap to start a 6.5 mile hike to the Weverton Cliffs. A brisk -- 25 F or so -- morning, but clear and gorgeous, a great way for this newbie to take in the AT for the first time as an adult. While I huffed and puffed compared to the rest of the group, I appreciated that the trail wasn't all PUDs -- it was rather flat, as ridgetops go. The payoff was the view from Weverton Cliffs down to the Potomac. Wow!

                                                                                   We wrapped up and said                                                  our goodbyes variously at                                                                                    the parking lot and back at                                                                                    the diner, where a few of                                                                                   us lingered a bit longer                                                                                    over lunch.

                                                                                   Several months later, Phil,                                                                                    Sedona, Gypsy, and                                                                                   Solophile hit the trail. Phil                                                                                   spent about a month and                                                                                   decided it wasn't for him.
                                                                                   Gypsy made it up to                                                                                    Pearisburg but was                                                                                    plagued by back problems                                                                                    and had to stop. Sedona                                                                                    and Solophile finished                                                                                   their treks at Katahdin.

And I'm still dreaming about mine... :)

(For more Ruck info, http://friends.backcountry.net/ruck)

To:            at-l@backcountry.net