Re: [at-l] reading maps was Re: Re yogi-ing hikers

One example of the profile maps not reflecting the actual trail (due to those
ups and downs that are maybe juuuuuust shy of being to the scale of the map
and, therefor, don't show up) that immediately pops into my mind is the
section between Elk Park/Roan Mtn (Rte 19, I believe) and Dennis Cove (where
Kincorra and Laurel Creek Hostels are). On the profile, that stretch looked
almost like someone had taken a ruler and drawn a straight line. In reality,
it was up and down, up and down, up and down aaaaaaaaall day (and part of the
next one, since we were too wiped out to go the whole distance in one shot).
We got to a crest or a dip, and it was right back up or down again. Always
gotta be a little skeptical of those "flat" parts on the profile. If you
expect the trail to be the same, you'll most likely end up a little peeved at
the map.

Ramkitten

To:            at-l@backcountry.net