Re: [at-l] Re: Re reading maps was Re Re yogi-ing hikers

In a message dated 12/11/2000 12:07:09 PM Eastern Standard Time,
krk@mail.speakeasy.org writes:

> I don't have any that I can look at right now, but I can't think of any of
> my AT maps that have
> contour lines of merely 10'. I've seen 40' and 100' lines. I'm not saying
> they don't exist, jus that
> I can't recall seeing any.
>
> Orienting yourself to something other than north is a mistake I've seen
> made bfore. Hell, I've
> looked at maps beofre and thought, "the trail seems more wiggly than the
> map suggest," before
> remembering what scale the map is drawn too. I do remember. Some poeple
> don't or maybe just don't
> know.

You will not find a Appalachian Trail map with 10 foot contour lines. 10 foot
contour lines are mostly found on maps showing relatively flat area may have
a contour interval of 10 feet or less. See USGS info below.

Wildbill

"Topographic contours are shown in brown by lines of different widths. Each
contour is a line of equal elevation; therefore, contours never cross. They
show the general shape of the terrain. To help the user determine elevations,
index contours (usually every fourth or fifth contour) are wider. The
narrower intermediate and supplementary contours found between the index
contours help to show more details of the land surface shape. Contours that
are very close together represent steep slopes. Widely spaced contours, or an
absence of contours, means that the ground slope is relatively level. The
elevation difference between adjacent contour lines, called the contour
interval, is selected to best show the general shape of the terrain. A map of
a relatively flat area may have a contour interval of 10 feet or less. Maps
in mountainous areas may have contour intervals of 100 feet or more.
Elevation values are shown at frequent intervals on the index contour lines
to facilitate their identification, as well as to enable the user to
interpolate the values of adjacent contours."
 <A HREF="http://mapping.usgs.gov/mac/isb/pubs/booklets/symbols/reading.html";>USGS Mapping Information: Topographic Map Symbols -- Reading Topographic Maps
</A>

multipart/alternative
  text/html