Re: [at-l] reading maps was Re: Re yogi-ing hikers

My favorite exammple of reading maps is one I have told here before.  Upon
starting a weekend hike heading south from High Point, NJ we ran into a
couple coming off the trail.  they had all new equipment right down to the
chair hanging from his pack.  It looked like they went into the outfitters
and upon handing over his American Express card said "give me everything
we need".  He complained that the NYNJTC map was all wrong in that from a
particular place on the trail Lake Rutherford was way out of place.  When
I got to that view spot, I pulled out my copy of the same map and,
orienting it using the sun and my watch, found the lake right where it
should have been.  Looking at the trail I realized that the trail was in a
bend too small to show on the map and he must have oriented his map to the
trail.  I assume he carries a CP in case he gets lost.

As far as ups and downs go, one must remember that most contour intervals
are 20'.  10' ups and downs every few feet are as or more arduous than a
long climb but will show on the map as level.  This has suckered me
numerous times.
Rich

To:            at-l@backcountry.net