Re: [at-l] average food sack contents

Well, as a section hiker, I've found little need to carry much more
than 3-4 days of food at a time, with knowledge I will get to resupply
of mail drop often. As a section hiker, I also know I can tolerate a
limited menu for a short time.

As a thru hiker, you have bigger fish to fry. You will have to juggle
how much weight versus how much starvation you will tolerate. Even if
you aren't 80 years old, you will want to supplement calcium
(especially if you anticipate any steroid use). Otherwise,
osteoporeosis and fractures become more likely. Protein replacement
will be very important, especially early in your hike as you begin the
Tuckerization of your body. You have a good handle on calorie needs.
You get to eat stuff on the trail that would put you into a coronary
unit at home. You also have the benefit of being female, which seems a
definite benefit in managing nutrition and avoiding starvation.

There are lists floating around regarding food, weight, and calories.
Find it and print it out. Get to know Chef Deborah of Chattanooga - aka
Little Debbie Cakes. Get to know your favorite jerkies or sausages and
how to get them shipped to you. Learn about cheese, not just the
convenient string cheese in a wrapper. Learn about dehydration and
plastic bag sealer sacks. Start reading every recipe in Backpacker mag,
and even consider reading how Napoleon's cooks made pretty lame stuff
into really good eats. See if David Addleton ever writes a cookbook.

Bill....