Re: [at-l] Re: Re yogi-ing hikers

On my section last year, I had a through hiker who was quite superior
to us sectioners. ("I am a very important engine indeed! I will not
pull a little train of toys for children", said the big locomotive.) I
met him heading west in the Smokies, as I was trying to get to a
shelter to complete a 17+ mile day, with the light fading, and the
views off Rocky Top dazzling me.

"I'm heading North, all the way to Maine!" he exclaimed when I asked
him how far to the shelter. I pointed out the setting sun, the fact
that the AT is W->E in this area, my map, and such. He pulled out an
impressive electronic compass, informed me he was currently walking NW,
I was a clueless section hiker, and (far worse) an a*****e. I wished
him a joyful walk to Springer and never saw him again.

The shelter was another 30 minutes away, in the direction of Maine. It
was dark when I got there.

Bill....