[at-l] Re: Re yogi-ing hikers

Agreed, rope and bear bag are essential items. While we call it a bear
bag, I suspect that the smaller critters (especially mice) are the
bigger threats to us and our food. Any food in a shelter only invites
mice, and that invites hantavirus and other nasties worse than bears
and giardia. If a bear gets you, a brief terror and death. If giardia
gets you, chronic GI events until you get over it. If hantavirus gets
you, you have the unfortunate experience of meeting many doctors
interested in your death. (I hope to die as I live, bored to tears!)

BTW, I've never taken the Kimsey Creek Trail, only the Lower Ridge
trail up Standing Indian. LRT is a killer going up, but a great fast
walk/run down. If you ever get back down here, you have got to spend a
night on Standing Indian. It violates all the "hike high, camp low"
rules, but it is a truly awesome view and location. Standing Indian
area is one of the best areas for loop hikes and introducing folks to
our sport. I wonder how many FBI and such are now hooked onto
backpacking after chasing Eric Rudolph.

Bill....