Re: [at-l] yogi-ing hikers?

Hmm, on the trail, I certainly got the impression at times that there were
hikers who had the attitude that you express here.  Thankfully, they were
few and far between and rarely around long enough to get particularly
annoying.  Anyone who expects to just "borrow" these type of items from time
to time should carry their own.

Maybe I missed it, but to be perfectly honest, I do not recall anyone on
this list ever making suggestions to leave behind the essentials.  Some
people may have said you don't need the data book (if they were willing to
make do with the guide book's info) or other items but I don't remember
people recommending not to carry something because they could always just
borrow other people's stuff.  Then again, if they did, I would have
dismissed it so quickly that maybe I just don't remember.

It is important to be self-sufficient when you are out there unless you have
made specific plans with someone else to share items.  This can be done in
advance if you are planning to thruhike with someone else or it cna be done
along the way for short or long periods of time.

Neither a successful yogi nor trail magic should ever be expected and
neither are a right.  They're nice when they happen but should never be
planned or relied upon.

Mara
Stitches, GAME99

To:            at-l@backcountry.net