[at-l] first blush: MEC Ferreta pants

The pants just came in today. THese are MEC's <www.mec.ca> Schoeller Dryskin pants. They have a nice
trim fit and in my quick outdoors test so far seem nice and warm. There are two zipped handwarming
pockets on the letgs and one large, velcro closed pocket on the right  hip. The pants close at the
waist with two sliding catches. They do not have zippers at the bottoms of the legs so sliding them
on and off over large boots may be tough (the cuff is stretchy, but I'm not sure if it is stretchy
enough).

These are simple, clean, no-frills, pants. They don't have the frills, and extra re-enforcement (I
suppose) that you might find on say Cloudveil's or Black Diamond's pants. On the other hand, they're
consierably less expensive (you need to be an MEC member, $5 as I recall, to buy them, but the price
is about $100(US)).

L.L. Bean also sells a pair of similar pants that I've not seen though I expet they are similar in
design. Remember these pants are using Dryskin not Dryskin Extreme (what Cloudveil uses in their
Symmetry Pants). Still when I find something that seems as good as these are I do find myself
wondering why another company charges nearly twice as much for their version.

  ** Ken **

**       krk@speakeasy.org        http://www.speakeasy.org/~krk     **

To:            Mara Factor <m_factor@hotmail.com>, thornel@attglobal.net, MMSW00@aol.com
Cc:            at-l@backcountry.net