Re: taping [at-l] Re: Ankle Board

You are describing what is usually purchased as a neoprene knee brace that
the PT is jerry rigging. Theoretically, it does nothing, although folks who
use them would tell you otherwise. It appears to provide a bit more
stability to a joint with weak quads. The heavier brace suggests other
injury (which you should know from prior diagnosis, treatment and referral
to PT by the real world doc). I hope you have let the PT know of your
hiking goal, and you have exercises to build your quads. (Hint: take the
stairs)

I have met hikers who found North Georgia to be the best PT available and
were able to discard braces by Standing Indian. I have also met hikers
whose knees sent them to Dahlonega for "emergency" glucosamine and a ticket
home. My interest is more in the prevention of ankle injury via taping, in
ankles injured only by Father Time.

OrangeBug

To:            atl <at-l@backcountry.net>