[at-l] christmas gear.

a few days ago I mentioned I had gotten some gear for my winter hike.
here is the follow-up / review of that gear.

cheese. :)

best part! especially the jalapenos spread.

Boot water proofing.

I love working fine leather.

in-step crampons.

I got the more expensive one.  (as opposed to the $8 pair)  these are
great.  very strong metal.  4-teeth.  they are adjustable in the
middle, for shoe width and shape.  have both toe and heal straps for
support.  weight?  little.  only problem is where to attach them to me
/ my pack.  those points would tear something up if accidentally
leaned on them.

hydro-seal stuff sack

way cool.  never again will I have to worry about getting my down bag
wet. I've stared carrying the bag in the inside of the pack.  this
thing compresses that bag down to next to nothing.

bivys.

Bibler vs OR.

the bibler is nice.   looks like it would get the job done however It
is very difficult to get in and out of, neatly.

the OR bag is great.  the front is like a door.  has Velcro on the
INSIDE for my therma-rest. I really like the head room area.

OR wins.  bibler goes back.  OR is cheaper, too.  (if you get the
on-sale version)

To:            tjfort@netdoor.com, at-l@backcountry.net