[at-l] What about that Warren Doyle story?

"Billie H. Cleek" <cleek@csc.smsu.edu> wrote:

>Could someone please tell me who this Warren character is?

Billie -
You're right - Warren is a "character".  He's also the founder of ALDHA and
has hiked the AT at least 12 times. Five of those times were with small
groups he led up the trail, part of an "unbroken circle" of people who
commit to hiking the whole trail together.  They do it in 4 months, with van
support.  There's a video about one of the hikes, called "Circle of Dreams."

He's also a friend of mine - and was my mentor prior to my AT thruhike.
Unless he's changed drastically, I'd take some of the stories about him with
a grain of salt.  For example - used to be the only use he had for shelters
was as a place to wait out the heat in high summer.  Warren is a free
spirit, lives by his own rules, irritates some (many?)people - and does his
group hikes as a spiritual/learning experience - not to make money. From
that perspective, there's no reason for him to apply for a "group permit".
It's extremely improbable that he'd apply for a "group permit" for any part
of the trail, because like me, he's one of the ultimate 'anti-permit'
curmudgeons.

It's possible - but not highly probable that he'd get overbearing in a
shelter.  I can definitely imagine circumstances such that he could have
gotten so angry at the group that he'd tell them off (although as far as I
know, he's never done that before).  Like me, he views the trail as a
learning experience - and if they didn't learn anything, then they wasted
his time as well as theirs. But only Warren and the 'group' are qualified to
judge that.

Keep in mind that those who thruhike the trail (ANY long trail) multiple
times (or multiple long trails) are 'different'.  They tend to have
different attitudes and perspectives.  Makes it real hard to judge them -
especially if you're judging them by 'normal' standards.

On a personal note - I'd like to say "welcome" to Rock dancer.  Nice to see
you contributing to the campfire.

Walk softly,
Jim

To:            at-l@backcountry.net