[at-l] How to Minimize Hammock Impact on Trees

Replace the ropes with webbing ... you can get really strong, lightweight
webbing at the rock climbing places ...

This maximizes the area against the bark, spreading out the forces that
otherwise harm the bark.

Use a beaner to make set up and break-down quicker.
Cheap beaners that won't harm your pride in the middle of the night are
available at Home Depot or Lowes and come with all sorts of warnings about
not using them to hold your weight ... but they work fine on a hammock ...

Likewise, for your bear bag: a tiny little aluminium pulley on one end of a
50 foot cord will let you minimize damage to a tree branch when hanging your
stuff at night ... I'm not sure how to explain this and you'd better be
careful doing this or you'll tie your bear cord to the tree branch.

After eating your cord, throw up the cord, over the branch ...

One end takes the pulley. The other end goes through the pulley. With
nothing on the cord you pull the pulley up to the branch. and tie it off.
Next, you tie your stuff to the free end of the cord and pullit to the
branch over the pulley and tie it off.  The next morning you after you get
your stuff you pull the free end out through the pulley and yank the pulley
over the branch.

 David

To:            at-l@backcountry.net