Re: [at-l] About White Lies

This thread reminded me that thruhikers were mentioned in the WMNF final
report that relicensed the AMC to run the huts. If I remember correctly the
AMC was criticized for not doing enough to help the thruhikers through the
Whites. The WMNF people stated something along the lines that thruhikers
are being squeezed into using the huts. I'll try to find the report and
cite some pertinent passages if anyone on the list is interested.

For my part I agree with the WMNF assessment that AMC should be doing
something more to help thruhikers through this area. I'm surprised that ATC
hasn't put pressure on the AMC during the last 2 hiking seasons to make
changes. It seems that ATC has it's hands full with other issues of late. I
fully believe that AMC will not make changes on their own , that is,
without being pushed in that direction by outside forces.

I'm not sure why ATC would be reluctant to stand up for thruhikers in this
area. I don't know the organization well enough to say anything except
speculation. Some friends say that the Board at ATC has never had a
thruhiker as a member, and that thruhikers are not a priority. Maybe so...

In the meantime, for those who'd advocate stealth camping all through the
Whites -  I saw a pretty complete list of stealth sites at the Glencliff
hostel this past August. Having hiked the area for 30 years I couldn't
think of any places to add...

For those who don't know: The huts serve a pretty good breakfast for their
guests and about 9 AM they put the leftovers out on the table for hikers
who wander in. I think it was $1 for AYCE of these breakfast leftovers. Of
course they always have hot water going, and there's almost always a good
soup available all day long for cheap.

Arthur D. Gaudet         	"Is walking down called hiking, too?"

(RockDancer)  	                 -heard at the top of Mt Washington, NH

To:            at-l@backcountry.net