Re: [at-l] About White Lies

>From: sly@pocketmail.com
>Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 11:40:31 -0800
>
>Ok, ok, so I fibbed about the new hut to be built on Katahdin, but I was
>tying to bring up a point.  It appears most of you would be upset with such
>a idea.  So why are the huts so accepted in the Whites?  Tradition, I
>suppose.

There are a great many more visitors to the Whites than to Katahdin.  Most
(except maybe Zealand and Lakes visitors) would go with or without the huts.

>It's unlikely that current hut and fee system will be changed anytime soon,
>but some years ago I posted that the present hut system "excludes" the
>independant backpackers who don't wish to be catered to, or can't afford
>the $55- a night the huts charge.

There's nothing that says you must stay in the huts or even at the pay
campsites.  If you do not want to, you must however, follow the other
rules...  camp 1/4 mile from huts and other "official" established
campsites, 200' away from streams, trails, and trailheads, and below
treeline (where trees are taller than 8' ).  There are a few other posted
restictions here and there but you can legally stealth camp in many places
in the Whites.  Check the White mountains documentation for whatever I've
missed.

Unfortunately, finding suitable spots can be difficult in that terrain and
most don't find the effort required to be worth it.

>Again, all said, with the present system, I'll most likely avoid the
>existing facilities and stealth camp through the Whites, next time around.
>
>I guess I'd rather pay a fine, under protest, than contribute to an
>organization that puts money over
>conviction.

Stealth is OK in the Whites if you can find appropriate spots and you need
not risk paying a fine.

Just another perspective...

Mara
Stitches, GAME99