Re: [at-l] Hennessy hammock?

Gsry, I can have the same experience with my Nomad (and have) or in a
shelter. Condensation in a tent is a big pain in the a**, just as blown
rain can be in a shelter.

The hammock is set up so that you enter it from the bottom, sitting
into it and raising your feet to allow the hole to close. Just like a
Nomad, you can sit on the floor of the shelter and do tick checks,
remove wet clothing, put on dryer clothing (note that I didn't say
dry), then put your zrest and bag out in preparation for evening. It
has a tarp weather cover to stay dry and relatively free from wind. The
website has a plan for using a space blanket as a heat reflector,
suggesting that one need not bring even a zrest. If that really works,
then each AM you would simply crawl out the door, untie everything and
roll it up and stuff into a compression sack - sleeping bag and all.
Sounds like a bivy without the body bag!

Where do you cook and eat? Some of that depends on your desire for
stealth camping. If you believe in cooking and eating away from your
bed, simply do like you do now before setting up your tent or tarp. you
could sit under your hammock and tarp if you are confident that Smokey
and the other bandits will leave you alone.

This hammock thing looks little different from a Nomad, other than
perhaps a bit less condensation. I'm not planning to try it out much
before April, although I'm currently putting together the next section
for First of March.

There is a wilderness medicine course at Tremont the first weekend of
March. Currently, I'm thinking of heading up to Newfound Gap that
Sunday and walking another 7-10 days. Folks, would Sam's Gap be a
reasonable goal?

Bill....