[at-l] Welcome - and other topics

Wanted to say welcome to the newest members of this smashmellow circle.  And
to say thank you for leaving the politics on the "other" list.  The
structure isn't as rigid here - and you probably won't find as much anger -
but the knowledge (and attitude) that you need for the AT is definitely
here.  I don't talk much about 'gear' but I'm sure you'll find all the help
you want here.

On the 'watch' subject, you may not need one, but I found it to be useful on
the AT for determining distances.  On the CDT and PCT I used an altimeter
watch for navigation as well as timed distances - very useful (in fact,
necessary in some cases).  Oh yeah - some years ago we wrote a trail guide
for one of the Pennsylvania trails using the watch to determine distances.
We went back later with a measuring wheel and found that our timed distances
were off by less than 3%.  Watches do have their uses.

IN any case, have fun here - that seems to be the main activity on this list
- that's why Ginny and I are still here after all these years.  It's home.

Walk softly,
Jim & Ginny

To:            MMSW00@aol.com, thornel@attglobal.net, at-l@backcountry.net