Re: [at-l] Hellooooo!

The iodine only kills the viral load that gets past the filter. The chief
diarrhea causes are Giardia and coliform bacteria. Those are caught by the
filter portion (which is identical to the Hiker). The Voyageur shines where
you are exposed to especially foul water and risk for hepatitis virus
exposure. In North America, you are more likely to get such exposure after
a hard week's of walking and a night of partying ('nuff said). There is
little to no penalty in weight to use the Voyageur versus a Hiker refill,
but you will save some $$ to use one night at a hut in the Whites.

We even have ideas that much of the diarrhea risk has less to do with dirty
water than with poor hygiene. Add a hand washing agent to your list, as
well as the TP!

OrangeBug

To:            W F Thorneloe <thornel@attglobal.net>
Cc:            at-l@backcountry.net