Re: [at-l] Freezing??

My favorite winter trick is to:

(1) boil the water the night before
(2) pour it into a couple of the unfashionable wide mouth Nalgene bottles (I
have the lexan ones).
(3) put each bottle in a heavy sock (put the lid on the bottle first ;-).
(4) put the socks in your sleeping bag.

The water will still be quite warm in the morning, as will your feet.  The
purpose of the socks is to keep your skin from direct contact with the
bottles, which are hot enough to burn at first.

Climbing into a pre-warmed sleeping bag on a cold night is wonderful.

Note: I wouldn't try this with a bottle that wasn't certified for holding
boiling liquids.  The bottle is likely to rupture, and you are likely to
have to survive a nasty backcountry burn situation.

-- Jim

P.S. One of the nice things about winter camping is that I get to use some
of the heavier items that I don't use in the summer anymore.