Re: [at-l] Another cold weather question

>From: TeeEmAch@aol.com
>Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 09:20:59 EST
>
>...I was wondering if
>filters will function properly under these conditions, or do you run the
>risk
>of any water left in the filter freezing, thereby diminishing the filter's
>effectiveness, or damaging the filter.

I opt for iodine but a friend who uses a filter just plans well and after
finishing pumping, just pumps air through the filter like mad to get rid of
the rest of the water.  (Hard to say if this is really effective or just
gives the illusion.)

Keeping the filter warm and next to your body would work well but at  very
cold temperatures, even the amount of time the filter is out while pumping
is enough to let water start freezing in the element.

>Also, if I had opted for my water
>bladder, it seems I would have had trouble keeping the drinking tube free
>from ice, is this correct?

Yes.  There are some isulated hoses but these would probably just delay the
freezing rather than eliminate it.

>I know that when spending the night in these
>conditions you should sleep with your water to keep it from becoming a
>block
>of ice, but how do you keep a fresh supply available while hiking ?

Keep your water supply under your layers of clothing and next to your body.
Keeping it just under one layer is not enough as anyone who has seen a layer
of frost inside their clothes can attest to.  You have to keep it where your
body heat can get at it.  Bladders (without the drinking hoses) may be more
comfortable than rigid bottles.  I used to use a bota bag but they tend to
leak.

An alternative is to start with water that is warm enough and use some sort
of insulator.  I find the OR Water Bottle Parka to be particularly effective
and a lot less weight than a thermos.  I heated water up one cold morning (<
0 deg. farenheit) to warm, not boiling, and the next morning, it was still
liquid after only being protected by the parka, and overnight, the tent.  I
had not kept it in my bag.  I've used socks but don't find them nearly as
effective.

>Even if
>you don't feel really thirsty it is really important to stay well hydrated
>in
>cold temps as well as warm.

As always, drink before you get thirsty, eat before you get hungery.

Mara
Stitches, GAME99

To:            AT-list <at-l@backcountry.net>