[at-l] Another cold weather question

Now that I've gotten my ''icy walking" question answered (and thanks to
everyone for the great input), I now have some questions regarding hydration
in sub-freezing temps.  I took a great day hike yesterday, it was like
paradise to me. Hiked NB from the MA 23 parking area to Mt Wilcox North
shelter and back. Wasn't any snow to speak of where I parked, but by a couple
miles in there was anywhere from 2 - 4 inches which fell on Thursday. I was
loving it in a big way.  I also realized hiking solo is not hiking alone, I
was in good company, the woods embraced me.
    Okay, I'll get to teh questions. I carried a qt Nalgene bottle, and by
the time it was 1/2 gone I was breaking up ice in it to drink, I had
remembered someone's recent post suggesting to carry the water bottles
upsidedown, this was a good thing to know. All ponds I passed were completely
iced over, but there were numerous flowing streams. I was wondering if
filters will function properly under these conditions, or do you run the risk
of any water left in the filter freezing, thereby diminishing the filter's
effectiveness, or damaging the filter. Also, if I had opted for my water
bladder, it seems I would have had trouble keeping the drinking tube free
from ice, is this correct? I know that when spending the night in these
conditions you should sleep with your water to keep it from becoming a block
of ice, but how do you keep a fresh supply available while hiking ?  Even if
you don't feel really thirsty it is really important to stay well hydrated in
cold temps as well as warm.
                        Thanks,   Tina

To:            TeeEmAch@aol.com
Cc:            at-l@backcountry.net