Re: [at-l] Whites Redux

Gary- this is a little late, and I probbaly missed some discussion on this
one, but here's my thoughts after passin' thru the Whites this past August.

If you can't get into the Garfield Ridge CG, go for Galehead Hut.  That
will put you a few miles closer to Zeeland, and there are no real killer
climbs between the two (Garfield and Galehead).

If you're planning on staying in the huts, I'd make reservations, and make
them ASAP.  Sure, August is busier, but I'll bet some of the huts are
pretty full in September...and I've seen the looks on people's faces when
they get turned away on a rainy day.  If you have a glimmer of interest in
staying indoors, then make the reservations.

As for the comment on ditching the sleeping bag and shelter, I personally
wouldn't do that in the Whites in September.  It's good insurance for a
place that can get severe weather...especially if your tight schedule and
reservations have you crossing areas above treeline in the rain, fog,
sleet, etc.

The hike from Zeeland to Mizpah has some amazingly flat sections for the
Whites, with some nice trailbed.  The first few miles after Zeeland will
fly by, there's a few rocks and roots near the shelter/campground by the
pond (forget the name), then you get more nice footbed and a healthy
descent down into the notch.  That stretch won't take all that much walking
time.   But things change after the notch.  It's do-able.

Mizpah to Madison is easily do-able in nice weather, but would suck in the
rain and wind (all above treeline).  Heed the advice to get up early!

Madison to Carter will be your biggest challenge IMO.  Going down is tough
work, and Wildcat had a lot of the thru-hikers I met grumbling.  But Carter
is one cool hut.

Expect a long day from Carter to US 2.  Camping along the Rattle River
under the hobblebush is a nice thing to do.  I had a great, quiet night
along that amazing NH stream.

Bring plenty of high energy food, you'll burn it up in the cold and
climbing.  The huts are good for reloading on carbs, but not fats or
protien.  Plan accordingly.  Remember, Carter is self-serve.

Have a blast.  I'm jealous!

Siler

To:            Valerie Henderson <vhender@austin.ibm.com>, at-l <at-l@backcountry.net>