Re: [at-l] whites

"cosmo catalano, jr." wrote:

> Gary--
>         Ambitous, to say the least.  The only two legs I have
> personal knowledge of is Mizpah to Madison and Madison to Carter
> Notch.  Of the two, I'd say Madsion to Carter is harder than it
> looks, but you spend a fair amount of time in the valley so a stealth
> camp is a possibility.  All previous comments RE Labor Day are true.
> If the weather's good expect even more people.

I am thinking about doing something else over Labor Day and moving the
whole hike up a month. It depends on my leave situation by then. I am
getting too much advice to stay away from Labor Day in the Whites.

> Have a Plan B (less miles) in case of crummy weather...who knows, it
> might rain....

My bail out point would be Pinkham, catch a shuttle back from there, and do
Wildcat and Moriah on another hike.

> If you'd like to stop in Billsville on your return to VA, say the word.
>
> Cosmo

Thanks, Cosmo. I still am kicking myself for not taking you up on the offer
of a shower that day - guess I was tired, but the trip home certainly would
have gone better if I had done some "reentrying".

- Gary

To:            richard mann <hike-usa@email.msn.com>
Cc:            at-lll <at-l@backcountry.net>