[at-l] Whites Redux

Hi Gary - my observations and opinions are below:

Sa - 9/1 - hike to Garfield Ridge CS:   10.3m 4600" climb (oooff!)
Su - 9/2 - hike to Zealand Falls Hut:    9.7m 1400' climb
Mo - 9/3 - hike to Mizpah Hut:          14.1m 2600' climb
Tu - 9/4 - hike to Madison Hut:         11.8m 1300' climb
We - 9/5 - hike to Carter Notch Hut:    13.7m 2100' climb
Th - 9/6 - hike to US 2:                15.2m 2300' climb

Your schedule above is very aggressive.  Unless you have hiked a whole
bunch - I mean weeks and weeks - before this hike, then you are going to
have a horrible time keeping to this schedule.  The terrain is extremely
tough, and the weather can kick up something fierce.  Hiking should be fun,
not torture, so I would recommend some serious modifications...

One scenario utilizing the huts could be:  Park at, and stay at, Pinkham
Notch Friday.  On Saturday, thumb, or catch the shuttle to the Mount
Washington Auto Road and get the sightseeing shuttle to the top of Mount
Washington - hike south to the Mizpah Hut (6.2 miles).  Sunday, hike to
Crawford Notch, and thumb or shuttle to Crawford Hut (6.4 miles).  Monday,
thumb or shuttle back to the trail and hike to Zealand Falls Hut (7.7
miles).  Tuesday, hike to Galehead Hut (7.0 miles).  Wednesday, hike to
Greenleaf Hut (6.6 on the AT, plus 1.1 side trail).  Thursday, hike to
Lafayette Place CG down the Bridal Path (3.8 miles I think) and shuttle back
to your car at Pinkham Notch.  All in all, this is a reduced gear, weather
conscious, take-your-time-in-one-of-the-premier-spots-on-the-AT kinda
hike...

There are scenarios that can put you in other huts - or keep you out of the
huts - or that can provide some slackpacking by utilizing shuttles,
railways, and ski-lifts - or that can have you doing some trail
maintenance...

Pittsburgh

To:            at-l@backcountry.net