Re: [at-l] About White Lies

Marty replies:

....C'mon now, where's your sense of humor?  :-]  The skits are fun and help
bring folks, who haven't hiked together for 1900 miles, together.

I have a sense of humor.  I think the full service huts are a joke!

The idea of bringing together thousands of people in fragile alpine areas needs to be rethought.  I'd like to see more self service huts such as Carter Notch replace the hotels.

 .....Sly, do you know how many thousand hikers use the White Mountains per year?  Can you imagine how much human waste is left behind?  The $6 tent site fees are to help defray the cost of a caretaker who's main job is to process and control the composting of human waste in the privies.  Surely,
one who's spent hundreds of dollars on backpacking equipment can afford $6
a shot for four to six nights in such a glorious setting.....

Six dollars to take a dump!? Now that's funny.

Seriously, I much prefer the shelter and tent sites, as I previously stated in my original post, it's the little speel the caretakers have to give at each site that bothers me. I mean after the first time, I should be intitled to a rebate, cuz the caretaker need not repeat themselves and can take the time to stir the "soup"!

I wonder how the Maine AT Club can offer basicaly the same sevices (if not better) and not charge backpackers to pass through their territory, like most of the other clubs?

.....Of course, you are entitled to your opinion.

Aren't we all, Sly

......Here's my response sent privately to Gary:

>It is that time of year when prudent employees give their employers
>their leave plans. And I am wondering if this isn't the year to do the
>Whites. So...
>
>Some questions:
>
>1. What is the best time to do the Whites? Ms Gorp told me late July.
>What do others think? Mara? And especially, what conditions could I
>expect next Labor Day, in early September? Will I need fleece in
>September?

Gary, I live virtually at the base of Mt. Moosilauke.  I've hike the White
Mountains all seasons of the year except winter primarily b/c during the
winter I had a ski racing team.  If you like Fall colors, the last two
weeks of September can be spectacular.  Fleece?  For sure, and a 20 degree
bag.  It can snow hard in the Whites in September.  I was on Mt. Lafayette
on June 16 and it was 38 degrees inside Greenleaf hut.

>2. North to South or South to North? Why?

My choice is south to north, from Mt. Moosilauke onward.  Don't miss
Moosilauke!  Reasons:   above the tree line, views, history, the climb down
into Lost River, Beaver Brook shelter just after leaving tree line before......................

This mobile message sent using PocketMail.
Sign up for unlimited e-mail at www.PocketMail.com.

To:            at-l <at-l@backcountry.net>