Re: [at-l] Half Way Point

In a message dated 11/24/2000 9:53:48 AM Central Standard Time,
glenhubb@juno.com writes:

<< Where is the half-way point on the AT? >>

There are several half way points...and probably none is accurate.

Several years ago, somebody put up a big sign marking the half way point.
It's a couple miles north of Pine Grove Furnace State Park (where the famous
Ironmaster's Mansion hostel is -- site of the Ruck every winter).  Of course,
the half-way mark moves every year, depending on trail re-locations, etc.
And, if I remember correctly, the half way marker indicates that it is 1,069
miles to either terminus.  That would add up to 2,038 miles for the entire
trail, which we know is no longer correct (current distance is 2,067 or so).
But, still, it is likely that the actual half way point is nearby, and most
thru-hikers consider that marker to indicate the true half-way point.

Of course, there's the little food shop next to the Ironmaster's Mansion,
where many thru-hikers try to eat their way into the half gallon club.  After
eating that much ice cream, believe me, you feel like you've earned the "half
way" moniker.

And, for many, passing by the ATC headquarters in Harper's Ferry marks the
psychological half way point.  Since the ATC office is really just under 1000
miles from Springer Mountain, it really is quite a bit short of the half way
point for northbounders...but somehow it really works as a sense of being
half way.  I know that was true for me.  I'm sure it has to do with the
wonderfully warm and celebratory welcome that the ATC staff provides to
hikers as they make it there.  I knew I was 80 miles short of being half
way...but it sure felt like I had accomplished half the trail.

I wonder what the psychology is for southbounders as they get to Harper's
Ferry?  They've now gone 80 or so miles PAST the half way point.  Does it
still feel like the ATC marks the half way point?  Is it as emotional an
experience as I know it is for many northbounders?

Walkabout  GAME99

To:            <at-l@backcountry.net>